Thursday, June 18, 2009

Barefoot Blogging: Bonus Recipe Scones!



I was so thrilled when Em of The Repressed Pastry Chef chose Ina’s Cranberry Orange Scones for this month's Barefoot Blogging Bonus Recipe Challenge. I know that my house is a huge fan of scones, so this was a great treat to share with my mom and grandmother for breakfast.

I wanted to change the recipe by substituting the dried cranberries for dried strawberries. I kept the orange zest in and WOW that gave such a wonderful flavor to these yummy scones!

My only issue was how sticky the dough was to work with. Living in Florida in June with a 300% humidity and 100 degree temperatures outside makes it hard to make these scones. I know I must have put the dough back in the fridge a few times to keep it cool.

I finally got them looking like real scones and the final result was a flaky pastry that had bursts of orange and sweet bites of strawberries. A great choice!

1 comment:

Leslie said...

They look perfect! I used to live in Miami and think you're very brave to make pastry in June!