Jacksonville's newest Bakery has arrived, and it's called Gilmon's Bakery. Conveniently located at 11362 San Jose Blvd, in the same plaza as the Tree Steakhouse and Beach Road Diner, it's going to be Mandarin's go-to source for their fix of sweet treats.
As you walk into the shop, you're greeted with the heavenly aroma of baking, a swirl of vanilla goodness. The walls are painted a shade of Tiffany blue and the floors have a retro feel with a black and white checkerboard pattern. There are some brushed stainless tables to sit and enjoy your treats with your friends. You can't miss the display case holding all of the luscious sweets. I picked out 6 different flavors to try and share with my co-workers. They have a great selection of cupcakes including the following, plus more:
- Peanut Butter : chocolate cake topped with peanut butter frosting and a Reese's Cup
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough: yellow butter cake with a chocolate chip cookie baked inside, topped with chocolate frosting and mini chocolate chips.
- Cookies and Cream: chocolate cake topped with Oreo frosting
- Coconut Rasberry: Coconut cake with rasperry frosting topped with coconut shreds
- Classics: Yellow butter cake topped with chocolate fudge icing, chocolate cake topped with vanilla frosting and chocolate sprinkles, or vanilla cake topped with vanilla frosting
- German Chocolate: Chocolate cake topped with chocolate cream cheese frosting and a sprinkling of chopped walnuts, and shredded coconut
- Salted Caramel: German chocolate cake topped with a smooth salted caramel frosting
- Red Velvet: a red velvet cake topped with cream cheese frosting.
Gilmon's also has a daily selection of cakes available whole or per slice. My mom tried the Italian Cream Cake and said it was simply wonderful. The cake was moist and buttery, while the cream cheese frosting with chopped nuts was to die for.
Gilmon's also takes orders for wedding cakes, special occasion cakes, and cupcakes. Stop by or call Gilmon's owners Dena Bowman or Kathy Jones at 904-288-8128.